HARRISBURG, Pa. (WHTM) — Pennsylvania Attorney General Josh Shapiro announced Thursday that his office has reached an agreement with Indra Energy that will end illegal telemarketing practices.
According to the investigation by the Pennsylvania Attorney General’s office, it was revealed that Indra Energy had engaged in many different violations with respect to its telemarketing operations in Pennsylvania.
According to the Attorney General’s Office, Indra Energy engaged in the following violations:
- Repeatedly called numbers recorded on the Do-Not-Call list
- Sending pre-recorded messages to numbers on the Do-Not-Call list
- Failed to get an “express request” from consumers on the do not call list before calling them
- Used misleading offers related to energy savings and rebates
- Engage in deceptive practices in connection with contact requests for the purposes of telemarketing solicitations
Indra Energy is the name of the company under which retail energy providers, PalmCo Energy PA, LLC and PalmCo Power PA, LLC, operate.
“Unwanted phone calls continue to harass and torment Pennsylvanians across the Commonwealth,” AG Shapiro said. “I would like to thank all of the consumers who have filed complaints against Indra Energy and brought their behavior to my attention. My office is committed to stopping these unwanted calls and, with today’s settlement, we help ensure businesses follow the law when calling consumers.
Get daily news, weather, breaking news and alerts straight to your inbox! Sign up for abc27 newsletters here.
Indra Energy can no longer make unwanted telemarketing calls and must pay $185,900. It also includes $100 to each of the nine consumers who filed a telemarketing complaint against Indra Energy.
If you’re considering switching electricity or gas providers, the PA Office of Consumer Advocate (OCA) has some tips to help you avoid misleading telemarketing offers:
- Find OCA’s natural gas and electric buying guides at oca.pa.gov. papowerswitch.com or pagasswitch.com
- Make sure you understand the terms and conditions of your contract summary and disclosure statement
- Be sure to monitor your account to ensure that you are charged the agreed amount.
Consumers can sign up for the Pennsylvania Do Not Call List here.
Receive severe weather alerts with newsletters and push alerts from the abc27 weather team
Consumers who are already on the Pennsylvania Do Not Call List and who have received telemarketing calls can report those calls online, by calling 1-800-441-2555 or by emailing [email protected] .gov.
Stay up to date on the latest abc27 news live and on the go with the free abc27 mobile app.